Tuesday, November 8, 2016

A matter of time

I failed myself again. I just ate four pieces of Droste's dark chocolate when I just promised myself to not eat any kind of snacks after dinner. I was thinking it might help me to concentrate. Five minutes later, here I am, typing this post instead of doing something productive.

*Meanwhile, Olly Murs' songs are playing in the background. I knew him just yesterday. You may be thinking that I am living under the rock all this time to just find out about him. Yea, I also regret myself for not listening to his tracks sooner.*

Okay, so it's my second day in the Ophthalmology Department. I am going to join different groups of interns from this station onward. I thought it'd be awkward at first. But luckily, I've known most of the group members I am with now. So, it'll be fine. The department itself is nice, too. It doesn't seem so stressful (at least for now), most of the specialists look friendly, and the residents I've met are kind. I haven't really read a lot since it's just begun (I know, I know! I am supposed to study already), so I can't say much yet whether I am interested in it or not.

Talking about joining different groups of interns, it's one of the consequences I've to pay for my one-month leave to Groningen. The other one is that I have to postpone my national exam for some months and that basically means that my Hippocratic Oath will be deferred. It was not an easy choice back then.

**Mom skyped and I am not very good bad in multitasking, so if starting this point the post feels out of focus, please excuse me.**

It was last April, when one of the staffs in the international relation office texted me to meet her in the office. It was strange since two or three weeks before, I received an email that announced students who're chosen for exchange, and my name wasn't one of them. So, I just went to her as I was told to. Long story short, inside the office, she then offered me the internship in Groningen. I was speechless. Seriously? Groningen? For real?

One year before, in 2014, I applied for the same internship program and was lucky enough to be chosen. However, the period of the program was in the middle of my second last block in my pre-clinical year. So, I asked here and there about the possibility and the consequences. The result was: it wasn't possible to leave and I had to take the block next year. Sacrifice a year for a month? My heart sank. I remembered I tried really hard to hold my tears until I reached home that day. I then called Dad and Mom and we discussed it. In the end, I decided to leave the offer. Reluctantly. That time, I felt like the universe betrayed me, life was unfair, I was born unlucky and all. Why on earth couldn't I get the chance like everybody else? It took months to move on.

So, can you imagine how I felt when the same thing was offered to me again the next  year? Of course I wanted it so much. I went to the clinical rotation office several times to ask if it's possible. The Mbak was (and still) very friendly. She tried to arrange my schedule in several ways and gave me some options. First option was I get to finish on time but I'll have a very packed schedule without any holiday. I was thinking about taking this first option, but it came with a risk: no one could promise that my final mark for my last station can be collected on time, which means no one could guarantee I'll finish on time with this first option. The other option was simple: I just have to postpone my graduation for some months.

I tell you. I am quite inflexible when it comes to career. So, to postpone my graduation didn't really sound like a very good idea to me. But after considering some stuffs and discussed it with Dad and Mom (always), I decided to go with the second option. You know, before I went to Groningen, there was a time when I regretted my decision. It's because I did put my ex into one of my considerations.

However, now that I think of it, I feel stupid. How could I even feel regret because of that? It's like Groningen is the best thing that ever happened to me in my 22 years of life (No, I am not exaggerating). The ex wasn't really a priority reason anyway (And No, this is really not a denial). So.. I should feel grateful instead. Yes? Moreover, the more I think of it, the more I feel like the universe has planned it this way for me. It's like it somehow knew it all along about how everything will turn out and decided to give me the second chance.


#throwback!

As long as it's not the end of the world, situation are meant to change. No matter what you are going through won't last forever. It's just a matter of time - Blaze Olamiday.



Signing off,



Stevanie

No comments:

Post a Comment